Friday, December 3, 2010

Sit. Stay.

Before SBR:  all of my child rearing love & instincts went into our Pups.  We lived in a puppy world.  They went with us where ever they were welcome.  They got groomed regularly, treats frequently, loved on constantly.  These were 2 very happy, very spoiled puppy dogs!

 
First came the Puppy Love of my life- Barley.  I waited 2 long, agonizing years for this boy.   It was the first time I had ever gone to a breeder to pick out my very own pup!  My Boozie bear-face, as I call him.  Hes smart, intuitive, hilarious, loving, well mannered, devoted and loyal  To me.


He can do every trick in the book & he understands perfect English, He can even roll his eyes at you.  He communicates through series' of huff, puffs, sighs & snorts.  
As the First-born, he got bathed once a week, brushed daily, rub downs and scratches every a.m. by my husband & massaged every day after I got home from work. (for real. Massages.) & walked frequently.
 
After 1.5 years, my husband got jealous of the tight bond Barley & I had forged & decided he wanted the same for himself.  While he really wanted aReal Dog, aka- English Mastiff, I politely (he would tell you rudely) told him when we had a bigger house, he can get a bigger dog, until then, he needed to settle on a smaller breed.  We decided to call Barleys breeder.   I would also tell my husband- there was no way we would get this lucky twice, assuring him his dog would not be nearly as cute OR smart OR loving as our First.
 
So enters Digi (pronounced D.G. as in Daddys Girl).  I couldnt believe it either.  She IS just a cute, maybe cuter.  Shes definitely smaller. She is the blood sister of Barley, exact same parents, they look the exact same.  I love having matching pups.   
  

Digi definitely faces 2nd fur baby syndrome.  While Barley can do every circus trick imaginable, Digi can sit & kind of shake, most of the time. 
She does not understand English.  Never comes when called.   She has no manners.  She might get a bath once a month.  I cant even find the dog brushes anymore.   We try to get them groomed every other month. 
You know how most dogs get super jazzed when they see their leashes?  She doesnt even know what a leash is, that’s how little they go on walks now. 

Everyone was right.  they went from the center of our world to Those (bleep) dogs!  


Still, they are great family pets.  And they have a warm house,  1/3 of the bed, food (almost) every day.  The occasional car ride.  Love every night after the babe goes to sleep... if they dont smell too bad. 
Boozie will always hold a special place in my heart.  My precious cookie face.  Digi I’m nice to her, I am.  And she is sweet & cute.  She has that going for her. 


Since, Barley has become the 'guard dog' over SBR.  If the baby cries, he looks to us for direction, if not immediately running back to the nursery.  If an unfamiliar person is holding SBR, you will not leave Barley's sight.  If he does not like what you're doing or baby becomes unhappy, Barley does too.  


I think Digi & Reid will be BFFE's.  She loves the little chickens.  Loves that they are just the right size for her.  And she LoVeS our boy!  always ready for a good time!  
Barley the protector,  Digi for all the fun.  Gee, you think the dogs picked the right owners??


anyway, speaking of training & tricks.   the boy can now Sit Up!  Momma's been documenting this event each little grasp, grunt & stumble all the way!  He is moving way too fast!! Too bad you can't teach them to Stay, huh?
Sit.  Stay.  Good boy...






2 comments:

Unknown said...

SBR will give them more attention than they will be able to handle. Once he is mobile, they will be looking for places to hide.

Unknown said...

you are the best! love your journalling, and the updates on reid. and thank you soooo much for sending all the cute pictures via phone. hugs, ramona